This is a hard one for me because I constantly rotate my “favorite” song based on my mood and the time in my life that I hear the song. But, one that has transcended the ages…I sound old, don’t I…is actually a hymn.
Be Thou My Vision is, to me, a profound prayer. A prayer to keep God as the forefront of one’s life. A prayer that I love and realize I don’t pray nearly as often as I should. Maybe that is precisely the reason why it has such a profound impact on me when I hear it and sing it.
Here is my all-time favorite version of the hymn, sung by 4Him. I will literally drive my husband crazy when this song comes on the iPod as I will play it time and time again. He’s learned to accept it at this point in our marriage.
I hope you enjoy this unique, semi-Celtic version of my favorite hymn/song:
- Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
- naught be all else to me, save that thou art;
- Thou my best thought by day or by night,
- Waking or sleeping, thy presence my light.
- Be thou my wisdom, thou my true word,
- I ever with thee and thou with me Lord;
- Thou my great Father, I thy true son;
- Thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.
- Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise:
- Thou mine inheritance now and always;
- Thou and thou only first in my heart;
- High King of Heaven, my treasure thou art.
- High King of heaven, my victory won,
- May I reach heaven’s joys, O Bright Heaven’s sun!;
- Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
- Still be my vision, O Ruler of all.